News

Updates


Bringing Films and Their ‘Extended Families’ to the 2013 Women Deliver Cinema Corner

By: Lisa Russell; Originally posted on Huffington Post

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. While attending this year's CSW (Commission on the Status of Women) at the UN these past two weeks, there's one message that's very clear -- words are an incredibly important element of pushing forth the maternal and reproductive health agenda. And that's why its been so exciting to curate the 2013 Women Deliver Cinema Corner, bringing imagery, stories and advocacy together for the betterment of women and girls worldwide. Read more...

The Power of Conditional Cash Transfers for Girls and Women

By: Svetha Janumpalli, New Incentives

New Incentives is one of the Women Deliver 25 finalists.

Manali is thirteen years old. She’d like to be a doctor when she grows up and loves science. She lives with her older brother and mother, and has access to a school.  They struggle to live on less than $1 a day. Manali’s dad abandoned the family and her mom has trouble earning enough money to support the three of them. Will Manali ever have the chance to pursue her dream?  Read more...

Celebrate Solutions: Private Sector Provides HIV Testing

By: Harshi Hettige, Women Deliver

A study by SHOPS Project shows that the private sector plays a vital, although varied, role in addressing the HIV pandemic. There is less data on private health providers that offer HIV counselling and testing, however research reveals that this approach should be celebrated and taken advantage of as a solution. Doug Johnson and Xi Cheng conducted research in 18 developing countries and analysed data from 2005 to 2011. Read more...

Voices of Advocates Part 2: Caesarean Births (Chile)

Originally posted on ThinkBrigade

This opinion piece is published in collaboration with Women Deliver 100 Young Leaders, liaised by Bijoyeta Das. Gonzalo Infante Grandón is one of the 100 Young Leaders for 2012-2013.

In the new millennium (2000-2011), there have been nearly 3 million births in Chile (2,751,540 to be exact), 75% of them in the public sector, and the remaining 25% in private institutions. Trends showing the increase in caesareans are clear: while in the year 2000 the total number (that includes both public and private medical institutions) of caesareans represented 36% of all births, in 2011 this figure reached 48%. Read more...

What Choice Do Our Ugandan Mothers Have?

By: Williams Moi; Originally posted on KeyCorrespondents.org

The Key Correspondents Programme is covering the Women Deliver 2013 global conference live from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia May 28 – 30. 

Once upon a time, there was a woman from eastern Uganda who walked all the way from Kamuda village to Soroti town 12 kilometres away only to deliver on the bare ground outside the hospital while people looked on. Luckily enough, I had visited the hospital administrator that day. He told me he had seen people gather around a woman in the hospital compound grounds. “It was a pity as people continue to stare at her as she fell on the bare-ground on her back ready to deliver. She spreads and kicked her legs on the bare ground,” he said. Read more...

 1 2 3 >  Last ›

 

Women Deliver 

588 Broadway, Suite 905
New York, NY 10012 USA

Tel: +1.646.695.9100
Fax: + 1 646.695.9145

Email: info [at] womendeliver.org

 
 

Join the
Mailing List

Click here to join the mailing list.