Facts and Figures
- 222 million women in developing countries have an unmet need for family planning.
- Of these, 162 million women live in the world’s poorest countries.
Barriers to contraception
- Spousal approval/parental consent
Impact of unmet need
- 80 million unplanned pregnancies
- 30 million unplanned births
- 40 million abortions every year
Investing in family planning
- For every $1 spent on family planning, $6 is saved.
Investing $ 8.1 billion a year in voluntary family planning in the developing world would…
- Reduce unintended pregnancies by more than 66%
- Prevent 30% of maternal deaths
- Avert 20% of newborn deaths
- Reduce unsafe abortion by 40%
As well as increase productivity for girls and women, develop a more sustainable world, and positively affect population dynamics.