Facts and Figures
- Women make up half of the world's population and yet represent 70% of the world's poor.
- 64% of illiterate adults are women.( That’s 2 out of 3)
- Women work 2/3 of the world’s hours yet earn 1/10 of the world’s income.
- One in four women is physically or sexually abused during pregnancy
- Globally, nearly 40% of murders of women are committed by an intimate partner.
- Every day, 39,000 girls are forced into early marriage. That’s 27 girls a minute
Inclusion & participation
- Women make up only 21.9% of parliamentarian seats, and 8% of the world’s executives.
- 95% of countries have a male head of state.
- More than 100 countries have laws on the books that restrict women's participation in the economy.
Women in power=greater opportunities for girls’ education, health, and equality