Facts and Figures
- There are 3 billion young people under 30 on the planet today, mostly in developing countries.
- Their choices and opportunities define the present and future of our world.
Today’s generation of young people is the largest in history
Yet young people, and specifically young women, face barriers to fully realizing their rights.
- More than 39,000 girls under 18 are married each day, violating their fundamental human rights
- Pregnancy- and childbirth-related complications are one of the leading causes of death among girls 15-19.
- Young women make up more than 60% of all young people living with HIV, or 72% in sub-Saharan Africa
In some countries, nearly half of girls report that their first sexual encounter was coerced.
How can we change this?
Guarantee access to:
- Meaningful youth participation
- Education, including comprehensive sexuality education
- Youth-friendly health services
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights