Why Women Die
These are the main causes resulting in maternal death worldwide:
- Haemorrhage is excessive bleeding or an abnormal blood flow.
- Eclampsia and hypertensive disorders are blood pressure complications, which can cause convulsions and even death for pregnant women before, during, or after birth.
- Unsafe abortion is the termination of an unwanted pregnancy by a person lacking the necessary skills or in an unsanitary environment. Every year, an estimated 20 million unsafe abortions take place.
- Sepsis is a severe infection, most common during the postpartum period.
- Embolism is an obstruction in a blood vessel due to a blood clot or another object becoming stuck while moving through the bloodstream.
- Another prominent direct cause is obstructed labor. Obstructed labor occurs when the fetus cannot pass through the birth canal. It is most common among young girls whose bodies are not yet mature and women whose pelvises are underdeveloped due to malnutrition.
But these deaths can be prevented through simple cost-effective measures. Learn how.