Women Deliver is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Position Status: Full-time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Title of the Supervisor: Director of Policy and Advocacy
Summary of the Position: Women Deliver is a leading global advocacy organization. We build capacity, forge partnerships, create networks, develop messages and catalyze action that spark political commitment and investment in the health, rights and wellbeing of girls and women throughout the world. We bring together diverse voices and interests to share solutions and drive progress in maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights.
We are searching for a passionate and sharp Senior Associate of Advocacy who will join our talented team and play a significant role in designing and implementing Women Deliver’s advocacy strategy. As the world transitions from the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) to a broader, more ambitious set of UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2015, we seek a team member who is energized by the challenge and can seize the unique opportunities on the horizon.
- Assists with developing and implementing strategic plans for advocacy activities including, but not limited to: Women Deliver’s 2016 conference; Women Deliver’s Post-2015 advocacy push; thematic meetings; three to six country consultations; and other advocacy events around key calendar dates (e.g., UNGA week).
- Organizes advocacy outreach efforts including developing policy briefs, presentations, advocacy statements, toolkits, talking points, responding to relevant advocacy moments with materials, as well as drafting grant proposals and other documents as necessary.
- Provides support in producing a diverse range of advocacy and communications materials including presentations, meeting notes, articles, op-eds, blogs, web and social media content.
- Helps conceptualize and implement advocacy trainings for partners and program teams.
- Aides in building and coordinating partnerships and coalitions with UN entities, NGOs, private sector partners, nonprofits, foundations, and affected communities.
- Organizes and attends meetings, briefings, conferences, and other events.
- Serves as an effective spokesperson and representative to support and advance Women Deliver’s objectives in select fora.
- Supports preparations for the Women Deliver 2016 as needed — including developing content areas, managing conference events, liaising with speakers, and handling other opportunities that may arise.
- Assists in negotiating contracts and managing vendor relationships with independent contractors.
- Establishes, monitors, and improves work plans to ensure timely completion of deliverables.
- Supervise interns and consultants, as needed.
- Contributes to Women Deliver’s organization-wide strategic planning efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, and Knowledge:
- Strong commitment to Women Deliver’s mission and values
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred, such as public health, international relations, gender studies, political science, human rights, or related.
- At least 4-6 years of work experience, working with diverse cultures on global health or international development campaigns, programs, or initiatives.
- Expertise in and passion for international maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights issues, with an emphasis on girls and women.
- Solid knowledge of advocacy and communications campaigns using research, public events, and media.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and work autonomously under pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to apply strategic and creative thinking, while being persistent, motivated, proactive, energetic, and detail-oriented.
- Superb writing and editing skills, and professional communication and presentation skills in English.
- Strong interpersonal skill and ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences, cultures, and organizations to ensure productive partnerships.
- Ability to design and implement creative, analytical approaches to improve programs and projects.
- Experience translating dense research materials and technical content into material that is relevant for broader audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and work under pressure, including assorted administrative tasks as necessary.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, and adept in creating professional PowerPoint presentations.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Master’s Degree in a related field is preferred
- Intermediate proficiency in French is a plus
Job location: New York, NY
Conditions of Service:
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Compensation: Commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits
Application: Applicants should submit their cover letter and resume to email@example.com with title of the position in the subject line. We will review applications on a rolling basis.
Start date: Immediately
Interested candidates should apply by 20 February 2015.